Recipe by rosie316
This is a delicious, easy recipe that will be sure to please your family. It can easily be adjusted to your own taste. (Thru trial and error, I've based this recipe on my what I could get my kids to eat when they were young). This can also be prepped the night before and thrown in the crockpot in the morning to be ready by dinnertime.
Top Review by Debbwl
Very tender with a flavor close to one my mother used to make. This is a great recipe for less tender cuts of meat. Made using the stove top method and cut the water in half and still had more than enough sauce for us. Thanks for the post.
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) thick cut beef round steak (not ground)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup (optional)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the onion and green bell pepper into 1/4" thick slices, set aside.
- Place round steak on cutting board. Trim off any excess fat from around the edges. Using a meat mallet (pointed side), tenderize the steak until it is approx 1/2" thick. Cut round steak into 6 - 8 pieces.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over med-high heat.
- Sprinkle the round steak with half of the salt, black pepper & garlic powder, to taste. Lay pieces of round steak (seasoned side down) into the heated oil, working in batches and adding oil if necessary. While browning the first side, season the top sides with the remaining salt, pepper & garlic powder. Brown approx 2 minutes, then flip to brown the other side.
- At this point, you can throw ALL of the ingredients into a crock pot insert (or you can reserve peppers and onions until 1 hour before done and then add to crockpot, so they are firmer). Cover the insert and refrigerate overnight to start in the morning on low for 6-8 hours (be sure to let insert rest on counter for 30 minutes before placing into the crockpot), or you can start crockpot right away without refrigerating over night. Then refer to steps #7 - #8.
- Now, this is how I usually prepare this dish. Using steps #1 - #4, add to skillet the onion, green bell pepper, tomato sauce, water and ketchup (if using). Add any additional seasoning, to taste. Stir to mix. Cover, lower heat and gently simmer approx 60 - 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While meat is simmering, you can prepare either mashed potatoes (my family's preferred choice) or egg noodles or white rice.
- When the meat is fork tender, remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve pepper steak and sauce over a bed of mashed potatoes, egg noodles or white rice and ENJOY!