Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from an old version of the Betty Crocker Cookbook that my mother got when she first married. It is wonderful addition to any chocolate cake. Enough for 2 - 8" or 9" layers or 1 - 13x9" oblong cake.
- Melt butter in sauce pan.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Boil and stir over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually stir in confectioner's sugar.
- Place pan in ice water and stir until thick enough to spread.
Exactly what I remember as a child. Yes it is very sweet, so try pairing it with a spice cake or something that is more savory than sweet.
The icing finishes very nicely, but it is too sweet!
So good on the chocolate mayonnaise cake. I will try on other cakes also!