This recipe comes from an old version of the Betty Crocker Cookbook that my mother got when she first married. It is wonderful addition to any chocolate cake. Enough for 2 - 8" or 9" layers or 1 - 13x9" oblong cake.
- Melt butter in sauce pan.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Boil and stir over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually stir in confectioner's sugar.
- Place pan in ice water and stir until thick enough to spread.
Exactly what I remember as a child. Yes it is very sweet, so try pairing it with a spice cake or something that is more savory than sweet.
The icing finishes very nicely, but it is too sweet!
So good on the chocolate mayonnaise cake. I will try on other cakes also!