Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Tired of losing half your egg trying to get the shells off? Forget about all those other methods! The shells will slip right off these perfectly cooked eggs and you'll have tender whites and yolks done just right, no green. A bonus hint for seasoning your hard cooked eggs too!
- Bring the water to a rolling boil - not a simmer.
- Using a push pin (what you would use on a bulletin board, or something similar) gently poke a hole in the fat end of the egg. It's easy to do. This will prevent the egg from breaking when you put it in the water, however, if you skip this, only the occasional egg will pop.
- Using a slotted spoon gently lower each egg into the boiling water, get them all in quickly.
- BOIL - not simmer - the eggs for 6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let eggs sit for 6 minutes, this will give you a very slightly moist yolk, add 30 seconds or so to boil time if you like them a little drier -to your preference.
- Remove eggs using the slotted spoon and set on a towel or (as I do) in a dish rack, allow to cool to room temp or until you can handle, don't put in cold water.
- Crack and peel shells, they will slip right off, the whites are tender so be gentle!
- Chill and use as desired.
- To cook more eggs increase the volume of boiling water, it should remain boiling when the eggs are added.
- HINT: To season the eggs nicely for lunches, snacks or deviled, put the peeled eggs in a ziploc bag and sprinkle with salt to taste and refrigerate overnight, makes a big difference in the flavor.
Silly as it sounds, I have been boiling eggs for 40+ years. But since I have moved to sea level the egg shells kept staying on no matter what. This recipe worked like a charm! I did not pin prick since they were for Easter egg decorating, so I "popped" 3 out of 20. The rest were perfect :)
I hard boiled eggs often. I have tried so many different "tricks" to have the eggs peel easily and also for no green yokes. This is the only recipe that has worked for me. I have used this at least a dozen times now and every egg has been beautiful. I don't pin prick the egg as suggested. I have also refrigerated the eggs with the shells on and a few days later they still peel very nicely.
At last...perfect hard boiled eggs! Shells slipped off easily, no green around the yolk! I'm in heaven. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! (didn't do the needle trick~worked just fine!)