Recipe by Crabbycakes
Try this recipe, its a little different than the others that are posted here. These bars have a cake-like texture and taste just like pecan pie.
Top Review by skinny marie
The taste of these bars is great. The problem is that they are VERY gooey, I baked them 10 minutes longer than the recipie called for and they were still very tough to get out of the pan in one piece. Also, the filling is very runny and it started to spill over the sides of the pan while baking. I am going to try again and add something to the filling mixture (maybe more nuts or coconut or reduce the number of eggs) to make it more thick and less prone to run over the sides of the pan. I think the crust mixture should be baked a bit longer too, it got mixed with the filling while baking instead of staying as a crust.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, egg, butter, coconut and pecans.
- Beat on low speed of mixer until well blended (mixture will be crumbly).
- Press mixture into bottom of greased 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Bake for about 13 minutes (edges should be lightly browned, but not dark). Remove from oven.
- While crust is baking, prepare filling.
- In medium bowl, combine sugar,eggs, salt, corn syrup, butter and vanilla.
- Beat on medium high speed until well blended and fluffy.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour filling over hot crust and return to oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes-until edges are brown and center is set.
- Cool and cut into bars.