Recipe by cakeinmyface
For when you need cake and you need it quick. Made this for family the other day. It doesn't keep well after cooking, but provides you with a quick cake fix. Can be veganized by adding 1 banana or 1 tablespoon of apple sauce instead of the egg. It also can be made into different variation by changing the flavouring.
Top Review by KateL
Updated 10/19/2008 review now that egg is listed in ingredients.. This was quick, even for me. I learned that vanilla essence in the U.K. is the same as vanilla extract in the U.S. The cake reminded me of a muffin and had an acceptable taste for an instant cake. The recipe should specify how large a dish is required; I used a pasta dish, which was the perfect size. The cake needed something, so I topped it with Recipe #328643 #328643 and some whipped cream. Or some orange marmalade could be heated up and served on top. This was the first time I had ever made cake in the microwave, so I was surprised how well it turned out. Made for Fall 2008 Pick-a-Chef.
- 2 ounces caster sugar
- 2 ounces margarine
- 4 ounces flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg and the flour and baking powder.
- Add the orange rind and juice coco powder and vanilla essence.
- Mix well and pour into microwavable dish.
- Zap for five minutes in the microwave on medium.
- Serve with custard.