Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
It doesn't get any simpler than this. This easily scales up by a lot. It's a really simple and very forgiving recipe... Adapted from a recipe on Kevin & Amanda's blog. http://bit.ly/RLdf5d
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups cooked penne pasta (about 1/2 lb dry)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4-1 cup milk
- Spray a small glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 400°F Combine salt, mustard (or cayenne) and flour in a small bowl.
- Spread a layer of pasta (about half the penne) in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with half the flour mixture and dot with half the butter. Cover with half the cheese. Repeat for a second layer. (If scaling up, you can make more layers or use a larger pan, either will work.).
- Add milk until the bottom of the pan is 1/4-1/3 full of milk. (Pour slowly so the milk has time to percolate down through the cheese and pasta, so you don't overdo it.) Bake uncovered 30 minutes. (If you have another dish in the oven at 350, you can pop it in alongside for 40-45 minutes.).