Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious and seriously lemon flavoured sticky drizzle cake which echoes the children's rhyme...."Easy peasy lemon squeezie"........EASY TO MAKE! An all-in-one recipe to rustle up at the last minute and impress your friends! When it's raspberry season, I sprinkle fresh raspberries over the top; it can also be served warm with creme fraiche, cream or ice cream as a Pudding Cake.
- 5 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 4 ounces golden caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- 1 large lemon, rind of, grated
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 tablespoon water or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 F, 175 C or Gas mark 3.
- Grease and line a 2 lb loaf tin or round cake tin.
- Put all the cake ingredients together into a large bowl & mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon and then a hand held mixer for a maximum of 3 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared loaf or cake tin & bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup.
- Mix the lemon juice and sugar together - no need to heat it up.
- On removing the cake from the oven, pierce all over the top with a fine skewer or fork - keeping the cake in the tin.
- Whilst the cake is still hot, pour the syrup over the top of the cake. Leave in the tin to cool.
- The syrup will leave a crunchy residue of sugar and be sticky to touch too!
- Keeps well, if you can hide it for long enough!
- The quantity above can be easily doubled for a larger family cake.
- The cake can also be split and have lemon curd spread between the two layers - it is then called a Luscious Lemon Drizzle Cake!
I happened to have all the ingredients this recipe called for on hand, and had a dessert to make for a party, so decided to give this one a try. I doubled the recipe and made one loaf pan and 9 cupcakes. I used homemade lemon curd and since I don't have golden caster sugar, I used sugar in the raw, and just ground it finely in my coffee grinder. I *loved* this cake! It has a beautiful lemon flavor, and the crunchy glaze on top is delicious. Thanks for a fantastic addition to our dessert table.
This is a beautiful cake to make for family or friends. It was tasty, lemony and the super-fine sugar was a tasty addition. Made for Aussie/Kiwi July 2010 Swap. This is a keeper!
I love lemon desserts, but often find that a lot of them don't have enough lemon flavor for me. That is not the case with this cake! What a delicious cake with a real lemon flavor. I served this as a pudding cake with cream on top. Thank you for a great recipe.