A delicious and seriously lemon flavoured sticky drizzle cake which echoes the children's rhyme...."Easy peasy lemon squeezie"........EASY TO MAKE! An all-in-one recipe to rustle up at the last minute and impress your friends! When it's raspberry season, I sprinkle fresh raspberries over the top; it can also be served warm with creme fraiche, cream or ice cream as a Pudding Cake.
- Preheat oven to 325 F, 175 C or Gas mark 3.
- Grease and line a 2 lb loaf tin or round cake tin.
- Put all the cake ingredients together into a large bowl & mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon and then a hand held mixer for a maximum of 3 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared loaf or cake tin & bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup.
- Mix the lemon juice and sugar together - no need to heat it up.
- On removing the cake from the oven, pierce all over the top with a fine skewer or fork - keeping the cake in the tin.
- Whilst the cake is still hot, pour the syrup over the top of the cake. Leave in the tin to cool.
- The syrup will leave a crunchy residue of sugar and be sticky to touch too!
- Keeps well, if you can hide it for long enough!
- The quantity above can be easily doubled for a larger family cake.
- The cake can also be split and have lemon curd spread between the two layers - it is then called a Luscious Lemon Drizzle Cake!