Recipe by GinnyP
A Jamie Oliver recipe.
Top Review by Sackville
I love the idea behind this recipe -- a homemade alternative to something I normally buy in the stores. But I would pare back the amount of ginger. I only grated half as much as called for and added about two teaspoons of the resulting mixture to a pint of water. That was plenty of ginger taste for me! Also, I had a real problem peeling the lemons. The rind just wouldn't come off so I zested them instead. All in all a nice drink, but don't be afraid to experiment with amounts and steps until you find a version that suits your taste.
- 5 ounces fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons muscovado sugar
- 2 -3 lemons
- 1 3⁄4 pints soda water or 1 3⁄4 pints sparkling water
- 1 sprig of fresh mint
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate the ginger on a coarse grater.
- You can leave the skin on if you like.
- Put the ginger with its pulpy juice into a bowl and sprinkle in muscovado sugar.
- Remove the rind from 2 of the lemons with a vegetable peeler, add to the bowl, and slightly bash and squash with something heavy like a rolling pin or a pestle.
- Just do this for 10 seconds to mix up the flavors.
- Squeeze the juice from all 3 lemons and add most of it to the bowl.
- Pour in the fizzy water.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes and then taste.
- You may feel that the lemons are slightly too sour, therefore add a little sugar.
- If it's slightly too sweet, add a little more lemon juice.
- Pass the ginger beer through a coarse sieve into a large jug and add lots of ice and some sprigs of mint.