Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from The Oprah Show and used it as a base and majorly tweaked it to my liking. I make this often and sometimes double the batch for later. I usually double the filling and make 2 pies with only top crusts, saving time for later.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I use recipe # #188329)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 potato, diced and boiled
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional but recommended)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 -3 cloves of grated garlic
- ready-made pie crust (Optional if needing to save time)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Optional Homemade Crust
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup of cold butter or 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- For the filling:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (or temp on package for the ready made dough)
- In a large pan heat olive oil and butter together over medium heat. And the onion and carrot, and saute until tender, about 4- 5 minutes at the last minute grate in the garlic. Add flour and mix well.
- Stir in 2 cups of chicken stock (the warmer the better) and wisk well.
- Turn the heat up slightly and cook until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in chicken, peas, potato, salt pepper and hot sauce. I sometimes add a few tablespoons, to taste, of Parmesan cheese for a little cheesiness.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole pan with cooking spray and put mixture into pan.
- Directions for pie crust:.
- In a food processor, blend flour, butter (or shortening) and salt until it has the texture of small peas.
- Combine the egg, water and vinegar, in a small bowl and slowly pour mixture into flour while pulsing the processor.
- Combine until a soft ball of dough forms, careful not to overmix.
- Divide dough in half. (I usually double the filling recipe and just place the crust on the tops of the pies, but if you want to use both for one pie that is fine.).
- Roll out dough and use either one or both for the pie.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes Let sit for about 10 minutes then serve and enjoy.