Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe comes from friends Hazel and Sarah, TRUE! Gave permission to share with you too! This was TERRIFIC, so EASY to do! I hope you'll try it and do a review!!!
- 2 (375 g) packs phyllo pastry
- 1 1⁄4 cups walnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Mix together sugar, water and lemon juice in saucepan; boil 15 - 20 minutes and let cool.
- Crush walnuts and add cinnamon in blender.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- When pastry is at room temperature, use 1/2 of one 375g pack and place it in rectangluar pan; is ok is filo folds back over itself.
- Brush with butter
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the walnuts; spread across pastry.
- Repeat process with other 1/2 of the 375g pack.
- Repeat process again with the SECOND pack of 375g filo pastry as stated above; finish with pastry layer.
- Using a SHARP knife, cut pastry into diagonal shape
- Pour remaining melted butter slowly over pastry.
- Cook in preheated oven at 170C for 60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; wait 5 minutes and pour syrup mixture over baklava.
- When is completely cool, you can serve.
- HINT HINT -- I enjoy it while still warm!
- Recipe is IDEAL for freezing!
Loved this! Very easy to make. I'm sure I will make this again. Thanks
I chose this for our Oz/NZ Regional tour. I couldn't believe how easy this was to prepare! I feel like a baklava pro now!! I was going to try freezing some for later, but the family ate it all in one day. Thanks for sharing!