This recipe was inspired by mliss29's Mushroom Puff Pasties (A.k.a. Footballs) (which was greatly enjoyed by the DS's recreation group) but put a sweet flavour to it instead of savoury. Please note if you do like it sweet then certainly add the sugar for without it is just the flavour of your fruit and the spices.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel, core and small dice apples.
- Place apples, cloves, cinnamon and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and cook on a medium heat until just tender (DO NOT LET GO TO MUSHY STAGE) - about 3 minutes.
- Remove cloves.
- Divide each pastry sheet into 4 squares.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of apple on the diagonal of the pastry square.
- Pull over to form a triangle and seal using a fork, gently pushing in to the edge to seal, using edge of knife put 1 or 2 small slits into the pastry (to let steam escape).
- Continue until all 12 turnovers are filled and sealed.
- Brush top of turnovers with whisked egg (you will only use a small amount of the egg) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a cookie/baking tray covered with baking paper/parchment paper (I get 6 to a tray).
- Put in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- TO SERVE.
- Serve warm with custard, cream and or ice cream.
- With just a sprinkle of icing sugar (confectioners sugar).
- I have made up the apple mix and only made 6 turnovers and served the extra apple with them with custard.