Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe was inspired by mliss29's Mushroom Puff Pasties (A.k.a. Footballs) (which was greatly enjoyed by the DS's recreation group) but put a sweet flavour to it instead of savoury. Please note if you do like it sweet then certainly add the sugar for without it is just the flavour of your fruit and the spices.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel, core and small dice apples.
- Place apples, cloves, cinnamon and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and cook on a medium heat until just tender (DO NOT LET GO TO MUSHY STAGE) - about 3 minutes.
- Remove cloves.
- Divide each pastry sheet into 4 squares.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of apple on the diagonal of the pastry square.
- Pull over to form a triangle and seal using a fork, gently pushing in to the edge to seal, using edge of knife put 1 or 2 small slits into the pastry (to let steam escape).
- Continue until all 12 turnovers are filled and sealed.
- Brush top of turnovers with whisked egg (you will only use a small amount of the egg) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a cookie/baking tray covered with baking paper/parchment paper (I get 6 to a tray).
- Put in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- TO SERVE.
- Serve warm with custard, cream and or ice cream.
- With just a sprinkle of icing sugar (confectioners sugar).
- I have made up the apple mix and only made 6 turnovers and served the extra apple with them with custard.
This recipe was super easy, but the filling was just okay for me. I found it too dry and not sweet enough.
Well I have to say that i had higher expectations for this recipe. I would have rather it been a little sweeter. As the sugar was optional I didn't add it cuz I was afraid it was going to be sweet. But I wish I had added it :( My daughter too was a bit more sweetness, she topped it with crispy ice=cream topping and whipped cream. Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag game.
I loved this recipe. It was so quick and easy to throw together. Everyone that tried them...loved them. I ground my 3 fresh cloves and didn't find them over powering. The pastry was crisp and the apple filling tart and tender. I did add an additional apple, as we prefer alot of fruit. I will make these again and again. Thanks for sharing I'mPat .