Recipe by Amy in Hawaii
I adapted this recipe from Sunset Magazine's "Cobbler for a Crowd". I did cut the sugar in the original recipe, which also calls for fresh fruit which has a better texture. I do add some fresh peaches for that reason when it is available.
- 1 gallon peach slices in heavy syrup (6 lbs, or light syrup)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 large egg white
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain canned peaches; reserve 3/4 cup of syrup.
- Place peaches in a large non-reactive bowl; add reserved syrup, tapioca, and lemon juice. Mash 1/3 of the peaches with a potato masher and set aside. You may also use fresh peaches (increase sugar to 1 cup),or combine with another fruit: blueberries, pineapple, or pears to make one gallon total.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Add half of spice mixture to peaches and stir.
- Stir peaches gently every 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cream together cream cheese, butter,and sugar.
- Add flour slowly mixing until the dough comes together and is well blended.
- Pat out dough into a ball and flatten to 1 inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough into a rectangle approximately 1 inch larger than the baking pan on a lightly floured piece of waxed paper.
- Pour peach mixture into baking pan.
- Place dough on top of peaches. Method 1. Gently roll dough onto rolling pin; transfer to the pan and roll dough over the top. Method 2. Pick up waxed paper with dough on it and gently put the dough side down over the pan; then peel off the waxed paper.
- Fold edges of pastry under so pastry edges are flush against the pan.
- Cut slashes in top of the pastry to let steam out.
- Beat 1 large egg white until foamy; then brush lightly on pastry.
- Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar blend on top of pastry.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.