Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is a recipe that I have been making for years. A great staple if you like a thick hearty pasta sauce. It can also be used as a base if you want to add ground meat or vegetables. One of my favourite ways to use this is to brown spare ribs and drop them in the sauce and simmer for a couple hours. The meat is so tender it falls off the bones!
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Place oil into a medium size pot.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil at medium low heat until onion is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well and simmer on low for 1/2 hour, stirring frequently.
- Serve over your favourite pasta!