Recipe by Chris Beckstrom
Sometimes I have the habit of cooking things there is absolutely no need to cook because they are readily available everywhere. Here is my pasta sauce- I like it better than store bought. It's even more awesome if you use fresh tomatoes instead of canned sauce!
Top Review by CulinaryQueen
PAC Fall 2007 - Being Italian and growing up with mom's homemade, I'm very picky when it comes to tomato sauce. I have to say that this was fabulous! A very nice sauce with a little kick. I used a can of chopped tomatoes in lieu of sauce so that it would be chunky. I had never heard of sofrito sauce, so had to make my own using this Recipe #49997. I used about 3 shakes of Tabasco and simmered for 45 minutes and it was perfect. Thanks for sharing Chris!
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml sofrito sauce
- crushed red pepper flakes
- hot sauce (I use Cholula)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute garlic in a pan.
- When it begins to smell slightly sweet/right before it burns add the other ingredients.
- Bring almost to a boil (watch out, it likes to bubble- keep the lid on).
- Simmer for as long as possible.
- Adjust spices to taste.
- Serve hot on pasta; also goes great on pizzas.