Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A quick healthy hearty stew made with beans and whole grain pasta
- 2 (14 ounce) cans white kidney beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped dried rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme
- 2 cups water
- Saute garlic, onions, celery and carrot in olive oil until tender. Add tomatoes, beans and spices. Add 2 cups water and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, taste a small amount and adjust seasoning to taste. Add pasta (I use shells) and cook for about 15 minutes more until pasta is cooked through. Top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
- This is so yummo served with fresh homemade bread.
- When you reheat this for left overs or lunches, you may have to add a little water, because the pasta absorbs the liquid.it is still yummy though.
- A Note, When I am in a hurry, I use a mixture of onions carrots and celery "mirepoix" available in the freezer section of most grocery stores).