Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I like this recipe because it is so simple for such wonderful results. As with many of my recipes it is the product of trial and error. This dough is easy to work with and yummy to eat. If you are colesterol consious or if you like a less rich pasta you may substitute 2 or 3 of the eggs for about half a cup of water. Add the water gradually until the desired testure and consistency is reached. Remember to crack eggs individually into small bowl prior to adding to flour, to prevent risk of contaminating mixture with a bad egg. Lightly beat each egg before adding to the flour. The recipe time given does not include time taken for dough to prove in fridge. I strongly recommend the purchase of a pasta machine. I used to make my pasta by hand but having a pasta machine makes it so easy. Have fun!
- Place flour on a flat surface.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour.
- Pour lightly beaten eggs one at a time into the well.
- Mix the eggs with a fork until they are blended with the flour. (Do NOT add salt at this stage).
- Using your hands kneed the mixture until it become smooth and consistant. Add water if too dry or flour if too wet.
- The dough should not stick to your hands or the working surface.
- Divide dough into three portions (Each portion will serve two people).
- For best results refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour prior to shaping.
- If shaping by hand place dough between two sheets of baking paper and flatten with rolling pin to about 3mm.
- Remove top sheet of baking paper and sprinkle the flattened dough with flour.
- Roll the flattened dough as if making a swiss roll.
- Cut the rolled dough into 5mm slices. (or desired width).
- Immediately unravel the spirals.
- Use plenty of flour during the shaping process to avoid sticking and splitting of pasta shapes.
- If using a pasta machine follow the directions of the machine to form dough into desired shapes.
- Bring large saucepan of water to the boil.
- Add two teaspoons of salt to water.
- Add pasta to boiling salted water and boil for about 5 minutes. Testing occasionally to see if cooked.
- Serve with favourite pasta sauce.