Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe I cut out of the Sunday coupon section years ago. For the tomato products, I like to use Hunt's with basil, garlic and oregano already added. The recipe calls for penne, but I use whatever pasta I have on hand. It's very satisfying and always goes quickly at our house!
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Brown meat in skillet and stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water and red wine vinegar; simmer and stir.
- Layer half of the pasta, half meat sauce and half cheese in a 13x9x2 baking dish. Repeat one more layer.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
This was ok... It really had a nice sauce/pasta/cheese ratio, but it just seemed too bland. I should have added some Italian spices to the sauce. That should help! My husband liked it, even so.