Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is simple to make and really good! Add in fresh minced garlic if desired.
Top Review by judiemeador
I loved this for its speed, simplicity and flavor. To make it fit into my diet, I used fat free half and half. I made 1/4 recipe which fed two amYummy! ply. This is a definite make-again. I served it with grilled chicken, Kentucky style green beans with hull-outs and potatoes cooked on top, and Asian slaw with Mandarin oranges.
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degree (oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a large skillet saute onions and celery in 3 tablespoons butter until softened and tender; remove to a bowl.
- In a saucepan melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter and stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in half and half cream; bring to a light boil, simmer for about 2 minutes whisking continuously until thickened.
- Pour over the onions/celery mixture; toss to coat.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 20-25 minutes.