Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is another soup that I came up with - it goes best with a grilled ham and cheese sandwich in my opinion! For the cream, I use either 18% or whipping cream - whichever I have on hand. I've used half and half, but it's not quite as good. Depending on the brand of tomatoes and juice, you may want to add a tbsp of sugar as some brands are a little bitter - I like it best with Unico brand or sealer ones I buy at the Farmer's Market. I've even made it just in an electric frying pan and it still turns out!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes (diced or whole)
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 cup cream
- In a soup pot, saute onion in olive oil until translucent, then add basil and oregano, cooking until fragrant.
- Add the canned tomatoes and tomato juice and then add the parley, pepper and salt, allowing to cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the cream and heat for another minute, then puree - either with an immersion blender or by transfering in batches to a blender and then serve!
Nice lunch today of grilled cheese and tomato bisque. I cut the amt of all the spices in half and we still felt it was too much. I used Muir Glen brand fire roasted diced tomatoes which was a treat. Made for ZWT for Team Emerald City Shakers.