1/1 Photo of Easy Pani Popo, Samoan Coconut Bread
1 hr 25 mins
I found this recipe off of the Rhodes website. I just love this bread, but don't want to go through the tedious task of making it from scratch. This is a faster way to enjoy this island favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Line the 18 rolls (3 across and 6 down), and set aside to let rise according to package directions.
- 2In a saucepan, add the coconut milk, fill the can with water and add to saucepan, add the sugar. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water until all the clumps are gone, set aside. Bring the coconut sauce to a boil add the cornstarch mixture. Simmer for about 3 minutes (sauce will thicken a little), then remove sauce from heat.
- 3Bake rolls. After 10 minutes take rolls out of oven and pour the coconut sauce over the rolls till 1/2 to 3/4 of each bun is covered in sauce. Place the rolls back in the oven and continue baking the rolls with the sauce until the tops of the rolls are golden brown.
- 4Remove pan and allow a few minutes to cool. Serve warm.
- 5Left over sauce can be used to smother rolls when served individually or just make a second pan of Pani Popo.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Pani Popo, Samoan Coconut Bread
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.2
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.4 mg
- Sodium 469.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 27.2 g
- Protein 9.6 g