Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick easy side dish. It takes just minutes into the microwave and then transfer to the pan for a quick pan fry. Some fresh parsley, garlic and shallots make this perfect. I loved pan fried potatoes but sometimes they just take too long and I always feel like I'm using too much butter or oil so this is my quick compromise. Now you can use the pre-bagged either frozen or dairy aisle packaged potatoes, but to me there is no comparison. I just love the sweetness and rustic flavor of the red skinned potatoes. Besides this is so easy to make and such a great inexpensive side dish. Serve with steak, fried fish, or any seafood, and of course one of my favorites an omelette. I don't know about you, but I can eat breakfast any time of the day.
- 12 medium red potatoes, cut in quarters (3 per person)
- 2 shallots, thin sliced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 scallions, fine chopped (whites and greens)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Potatoes -- Add the potatoes to a bowl or I prefer using a pie plate and add just a tablespoon or so of water and cover with plastic wrap. Now microwave. I like to start at 5 minutes and then check. You want them slightly tender but still firm and not falling apart - remember you are going to finish then in the pan. Once they are done, just remove from the microwave and drain well, you don't want water to hit a hot pan.
- Pan Fry -- Add the shallot and garlic to a medium saute pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter on medium heat and cook 2 minutes. Increase the heat to medium high to high and add the other tablespoon of butter, potatoes and parsley. I like to let them set for a couple of minutes to brown on the bottom before flipping and stirring breaking them up slightly and then again a couple of minutes on the other side before I stir or flip and again breaking them up a bit. They will start to break apart which is fine. Then add the scallions, salt and pepper and serve.
YUMYUMYUM!!! My potatoes seemed to take forever to cook. My shallots nearly burned. I added extra butter. BUT THESE ARE SO DELICIOUS!! Everyone loved this dish. Thank you.
These were simple and fabulous and came together very quickly especially with the use of the microwave. Couldn't have been any easier.
It doesn't get much easier than this! I'm a huge potato fan and I'm always looking for new ways to cook them. I loved the ease and simplicity of this recipe. The potatoes turn out perfect and delicious! Note for next time: since I like my potatoes really crispy on the outside, I will wait a while to put the shallots in garlic in. Fantastic recipe. Loved the microwave tip!