Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a quick and easy recipe for preparing a great-tasting batch of steamers. Other herbs can be added to taste. Also, while I haven't tried it yet, next time I will substitute the sherry/water with 1 cup of beer. Do whatever sounds best to you!
- 1 lb live steamer clam
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 -6 chopped garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup cooking sherry
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 fresh baked baguette or 1 round sourdough loaf
- Rinse and drain clams; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic, dill, and thyme and heat until garlic is just starting to brown (about 2 min).
- Add sherry and water and heat until steaming (about 1 min).
- Add clams, cover pot and cook 5 minutes.
- Add butter and stir gently until well blended with juices.
- Ladle out clams into a large serving bowl.
- Remove any clams that did not open all the way.
- Pour remaining juices over clams.
- Serve hot with fresh bread on the side.
- I served this with a lighter beer and fruity white wine in keeping with flavors of the Pacific Northwest.
- Don't forget another bowl to throw the shells in!