Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Posted for ZWT-6; from the Usborne Children's World Cookbook Gramma gave my son when he first started learning to cook. Muesli is a healthy breakfast cereal made up of grains, fruit and nuts. It was originally created by a Swiss doctor. This recipe calls for raisins or sultanas, but I love to use dried cherries or cranberries as well as dried cranberries flavored with orange or pomegranate. Fresh fruit is nice with it as well. Cook time includes overnight softening of the oats, as there is no actual cooking for this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats (bulk section of supermarket)
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raisins (or sultanas)
- 1 tablespoon mixed nuts, chopped
- 7 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- Before you go to bed, put the oats into a large bowl and pour the water on top.
- In the morning, peel the apple, cut it in half, then grate it. Put it into a bowl, then stir the lemon juice into it.
- Gently stir the apple, raisins or sultanas and nuts into the softened oats.
- Divide the muesli into four bowls and pour a little of the milk into each one.
- Drizzle some honey on top of each serving.
Tasty and healthy breakfast! I made as directed using raisins and walnuts. Next time I would soak my raisins too so that they would be soft and plump. The honey was a perfect sweetener and was nice with the lemon juice. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I liked that this muesli had more fruit than oats and the lemon flavour was refreshing. I let mine sit a little while as I don't like doing the overnight time. I used a red delicious apple, freshly squeezed lemon juice, Thompson raisins, whole almonds, chopped walnuts, a bit of yogurt instead of milk, creamed honey, plus the rest of the ingredients.
Yum! Easy and healthy way to start the morning. This recipe is different from many other muesli recipes in that the volume of apple exceeds the oats. Also, this only made 2 servings for us. Thanks so much for posting. Made for Healthy Choices tag game.