Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is great. I've turned the temperature lower and kept it in longer when I've worked longer hours. Ready when I got home..yum yum
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups turnips, diced
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef stock or 1 1⁄4 cups canned beef broth
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind (optional)
- Cut beef into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large casserole or Dutch oven, toss beef with flour.
- Add remaining ingredients; stir to mix.
- Bake covered in 325°F oven for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
I reviewed this but it didn't post for some reason. This was very tasty, I am not a huge fan of stew but my husband is and requested this for new years day dinner and being freezing I wanted an oven recipe. I suggest using a cookie sheet under it in the oven, I used a large dutch oven and it still bubbled over. I browned the meat in olive oil first, did not use the orange rind and went heavy on the pepper. This smelled wonderful while cooking and was pretty tasty, it was thinner than other stews I have made but my husband really enjoyed it with garlic bread too.