Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Healthy and delicious, each serving has 263 calories, 38 gm carbohydrate, 17 gm protein, and 5 gm fat. I posted the recipe as it was given to me, but I usually add a bit of minced garlic, some rosemary, thyme, and a bay leaf.
- 3⁄4 lb boneless beef round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canchunky stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a dutch oven, brown the meat in oil.
- Add the next 8 ingredients.
- Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 4-5 hours, stirring twice.
- Add the peas during the final 30 minutes of baking.
This is a perfect stew! Easy to make, and so delicious to boot! I am so excited about this, because it's so darn healthful, and you could use a lot of veggies that you probably have right in your fridge. The only change I made was to use quick barley (put in at the last 15 minutes) instead of tapioca, (didn't have any) and this was perfectly thick. The best! Thank you! Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game 2012
I have made this recipe twice now with perfect results. A very easy and tasty way to make an excellant beef stew. My family has requested this recipe over the traditional crock pot version I used to make. I don't care for tapioca so I used a package of brown gravy mix for the thickener. Great way to warm up the kitchen in the winter time, too. Thanks, wife2abadge, for a great recipe!