Recipe by Catnip46
I got this from the 1993 Pillsbury "Family Dinners" cookbook. Baked in the oven for about 6-7 hrs. it is so tender and tasty. Take out what veggies you don't like or add veggies that you do. I served it over rice with a crusty French bread and a fresh fruit plate. YUM!
- 3 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 large onions, cut into eights
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 -3 tablespoons cornstarch of 1/4 cup dry tapioca
- 1 tablespoon beef flavor instant bouillon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 330°F.
- In large Dutch oven or roasting pan, combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover. Bake for 6-7 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves.
- To freeze stew, cool completely in refrigerator. Place in 3 foil lined ovenproof casseroles (or freezer containers). Bring the edges of foil together and seal tightly, making sure the foil touches the top of the mixture to shut out any air. Freeze it until firm.
- Lift the frozen casserole from the dish. For additional protection, wrap the casserole in foil or place in a freezer bag. Don't forget to write what it is, the date made and heating instructions on it.
- When ready to use place in original baking dish. Thaw in refrigerator; reheat at 350 F for 45-55 minutes.