Recipe by Barb G.
Easy, yummy scones. Recipe comes from a Bed and Breakfast, I found the recipe on 1st Travelers Choice Internet Cookbook.
Top Review by ladypit
These were a nice light scone. I used splenda instead of sugar to make it diabetic. I also squeezed the clementine that I used for zest into my 1.5 cup container and then filled the rest with buttermilk (taking cues from Kree's review). Easy to make with a subtle flavor. Good with a bit of butter.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 lb cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, for wash
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, baking soda, baking powder, orange peel and sugar briefly to mix.
- Add butter and process until crumbly.
- Add pecans and pulse two three times, just long enough to chop and combine.
- Turn out into large bowl and stir buttermilk into mixture.
- Knead on floured surface, and pat flat into circle 1 inch thick.
- Cut into pie shaped pieces or cut with cookie cutter and place onto a ungreased cookie sheet.
- Brush with egg wash (one egg beaten lightly with fork).
- Bake 12 minutes, Serve with jelly or honey.