Recipe by senseicheryl
From the Cook's Illustrated Website: Any of the buttercream frostings can be made ahead and refrigerated; if refrigerated, however, they must stand at room temperature to soften before use. If using a hand-held mixer, increase mixing times significantly (at least 50 percent). This recipe can be doubled to make enough for a two-layer cake. Makes 1 1/2 cups, enough for 12 cupcakes.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar (5 ounces)
- 1 pinch table salt
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add orange zest and beat mixture at medium-high speed to combine, about 15 seconds. Add confectioners' sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds. Scrape down bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds; scrape bowl, add orange juice, vanilla, and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds, then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.