Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is delicious southern cookie ball, has been a favorite around these parts for many years. Its quick and easy and very tasty, and is a great flavor change for the holiday cookie platter.
- 12 ounces vanilla wafer cookies, crushed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- sifted confectioners' sugar or coconut, for coating
- Combine cookie crumbs and 1 cup confectioners' sugar.
- blend in butter.
- Stir in orange juice concentrate and add vanilla and nuts.
- Shape mixture into balls about the size of walnuts.
- Shake in food storage bag with sifted confectioners' sugar or coconut.
- Arrange orange balls in single layer on waxed paper-lined cookie sheet and store uncovered overnight in refrigerator for best flavor.
I have searched for a recipe that is most like the orange balls I made as a kid, and this is it! My 6 and 9 year-olds helped and had a blast. This is one recipe I'd even let them make without supervision. TAKE NOTE that Nilla Wafers are now sold in 11 ounce boxes and not 12 ounces. To accommodate for less wafers, I reduced the orange juice concentrate to 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon, then let the mix sit for 5 minutes before rolling. This worked great and the dough was not gooey or runny at all. If your dough turns out too runny or gooey to handle, try adding a Tablespoon or two of cornstarch - it will absorb some of the moisture without affecting the taste.
These were easy to make and tasted great. These also taste good dipped in chocolate candy coating.