Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
For all you onions lovers, this is really good on burgers... just store it in the refrigerator.
- 2 lbs large sweet onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped finely
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Saute onions, celery and red bell pepper in the butter in a Dutch oven for about 15 minutes or until tender (do not brown).
- Add in vinegar and remaining ingredients to the mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator for 1 day before using.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Have to admit when I tried this off the stove, I was not very enthusiatic. For me the celery seed was overpowering and masked the sweet and tangy flavors of the vinegar and brown sugar. Added a teaspoon of Splenda to sweeten it a bit and let it cool and thicken a bit further. By the end of the afternoon, I liked it a bit more but not as much as I'd hoped. Then again, who eats relish plain. On top of my turkey burger it was quite good and enjoyed very much. Will certainly make agian but likely to either use less celery seed or switch for something altogether different like thyme or marjoram. Thanks Kitten.
I have tried this recipe and served it with my friends and everyone who spread it on their hamburger were asking me where I got it because you will not find it in any store. Of course I had to print a dozen copies of the recipe. I give a 10 on 10. Thanks. Ray LaBerge, Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada