1/5 Photos of Easy Old Fashioned English Sticky Gingerbread Loaf
French Tart's Note:
Just the smell of this gingerbread loaf whilst it's baking is redolent of when I was a little girl and staying at my grandparent's old cottage..........and, it is so easy to make. Plus, there are not many ingredients to it and yet, it is the recipe I always turn to when I feel like real old-fashioned sticky gingerbread! My grandmother used to serve it in thick slices with butter; it nearly always appeared on the tea table at least once a week! This is also wonderful served up as a Pudding type cake, warm with custard or cream, delicious! Oh yes, this gingerbread only contains 2 ounces of fat in it, making it low fat as well as very tasty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- 2Grease and line a 2 lb loaf tin.
- 3Mix the flour with the salt, baking powder, ground ginger & raisins if using.
- 4Melt the butter or margarine and add the sugar, black treacle - mixing them together very well.
- 5Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture - and mix with a wooden spoon.
- 6Gradually beat in the egg and milk mixture to make a smooth, thick batter.
- 7Pour into the greased and lined 2 lb loaf tin and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a skewer when inserted comes out clean.
- 8The gingerbread loaf should be well risen and slightly sticky to the touch, although it gets stickier the longer it is kept.
- 9Slice and eat warm with butter, or leave to go cold and store in an airtight container.
- 10Also wonderful served warm with custard or cream.
- 11Keeps very well for a week or more.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Old Fashioned English Sticky Gingerbread Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.6
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 183.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 6.3 g