Recipe by AmyZoe
This recipe won the Pillsbury Bake-Off in Boca Raton, Florida in 1996. Recipe submitted by Niela Frantellizi, Contest #37. These are easy but delicious. Pillsbury suggested using this as a great base for a rich sundae. Top each square with a scoop of ice cream, some hot fudge or caramel topping, and whipped cream. Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury Christmas 2009.
- 16 1⁄2 ounces refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 dash salt, if desired
- 2⁄3 cup caramel topping
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350.
- Into large bowl, break up cookie dough.
- Add oats and salt and mix well.
- Reserve 1/2 cup dough mixture for topping.
- Press remaining dough mixture evenly in bottom of ungreased 9 inch square pan to form crust.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until dough puffs and appears dry.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix caramel topping, flour, and vanilla and blend well.
- Sprinkle walnuts and chocolate chips evenly over crust.
- Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture.
- Crumble reserved 1/2 cup dough mixture over caramel.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of pan to loosen.
- Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.
- High altitude: (3500-6500 feet) Bake crust 12 to 14 minutes. After topping, bake 22 to 27 minutes.