Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Although you can use fresh bread, these are better with day-old bread. And you can use the heels, too.
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced (or more)
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Cut bread into dice-size cubes.
- Toss into medium size bowl.
- Mix oil into melted butter in small, separate bowl.
- Drizzle oil/butter over cubes, while tossing them around in the bowl.
- Keep tossing, while adding garlic.
- When evenly coated, place in single layer on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned.
- Store in airtight container or zip lock bag.
I love homemade croutons and these were so easy to make. I did add a little more seasoning to them with using some greek seasoning, I used 1 large tablespoon of minced garlic and a dash of Recipe#63812. I also used left over french bread. I like to use real butter as the taste seems to be better to us. I lefted the bread cubes in oven 12 minutes as I felt they wasn't done in 8 minutes. Thanks for sharing a easy recipe for croutons.
I was a bit concerned that they wouldn't have enough of a garlic taste since most of the garlic was still in the bowl at the end, but they ended up tasting great! Super easy to make, and such a nice buttery garlic flavor. I especially like that they are crispy without being rock hard like you often find with store bought ones. I used 3 cloves of garlic and added a bit of dry parsley and basil. I also used margarine for allergy reasons. Can't wait to try more herb/spice combinations!