It doesn't get much easier than this for making a perfect medium rare rib!
Make and share this Easy "no Peek" Prime Rib recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 500º.
- Mix seasonings together and pat all over the roast.
- It probably won't stick very well to the fat side but that's ok.
- Put the roast in a Dutch oven, preferably on a small rack to lift it off the bottom of the pot.
- Bone side up (fat side down).
- Place a meat thermometer in the middle of the roast being careful not to get too close to the bone.
- Cover with lid (you need a fairly large Dutch oven so the lid will fit on properly).
- Cook the roast in the oven for 5-6 minutes per pound, then shut off the oven.
- DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR FOR TWO HOURS, UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH!
- ****The 2 hours starts as soon as the roast is put in the oven****.
- After two hours, take it out and check the temperature.
- If it's 140º, it's perfect!
- If it's cooler, put back in oven at 375º until it reaches 140º.
- This procedure will yield a PERFECT MEDIUM RARE PRIME RIB.
- Don't ask how to do medium or well done because cooking prime rib past medium rare is a felony.