1/11 Photos of Easy No Knead Dutch Oven Crusty Bread
24 hrs 50 mins
This is a no knead, dutch oven bread recipe that peeked my interest in the Dec/Jan'o8 Mother Earth News magazine. The end result is a brick oven type of crust that I’ve never gotten with home bread baking before, the results are wonderful -believe it or not!
My Private Note
half po ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the flour and salt, stirring until blended.
- 2The dough will be shaggy and sticky.
- 3Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- 4Let the dough rest at least 8 hours, preferably 12 to 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
- 5The dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles.
- 6Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it.
- 7Sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice.
- 8Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- 9Using just enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to the work surface or to your fingers, gently shape it into a ball. Generously coat a clean dish towel with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal.
- 10Put the seam side of the dough down on the towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal.
- 11Cover with another towel and let rise for about 1 to 2 hours.
- 12When it’s ready, the dough will have doubled in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
- 13At least 20 minutes before the dough is ready, heat oven to 475 degrees.
- 14Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in the oven as it heats.
- 15When the dough is ready, carefully remove the pot from the oven and lift off the lid. Slide your hand under the towel and turn the dough over into the pot, seam side up.
- 16The dough will lose its shape a bit in the process, but that’s OK. Give the pan a firm shake or two to help distribute the dough evenly, but don’t worry if it’s not perfect; it will straighten out as it bakes.
- 17Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- 18Remove the lid and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, until the loaf is beautifully browned.
- 19Remove the bread from the Dutch oven and let it cool on a rack for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy No Knead Dutch Oven Crusty Bread
Serving Size: 1 (741 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1368.2
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3506.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 286.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 39.1 g