Recipe by Demelza
This is adapted from a Stefano Faita recipe. The pretzels are fast, easy to make, no boiling & no rising time. Bake one cookie sheet of pretzels while forming the rest of them. While a true pretzel fanatic will say, but they aren't boiled so they aren't a real pretzel, I say try them. They are soft, salty, slightly chewy & got thumbs up from my biggest critics, my kids. They are best fresh, serve with some mustard or a bit of cheese sauce for dipping. If you want a sweet pretzel omit the salt sprinkle, brush with some melted butter after baked & shake in a sugar & cinnamon mixture.
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 3⁄4-3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425F, convection oven to 400°F.
- Pretzel Dough:.
- Whisk 2 3/4 c flour, yeast, sugar & salt together.
- Add 1 1/3 c warm water (use 1/2 hot tap water & 1/2 cold water to get perfect temperature).
- Stir together.
- Add 1/4 - 1/2 c more flour while kneading, to make a soft dough. It will still be slightly tacky.
- Divide dough into 14 equal portions (about 2 oz each).
- Roll each out into rope about 20" long, form into pretzel shape.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Egg Wash:.
- Beat egg & 1 T water together, brush pretzels with egg wash, sprinkle with coarse or Kosher salt.
- Bake 15 - 20 minutes till golden brown.
- Cool slightly on wire rack.