Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
From one of my CD cookbooks. Posted for ZWT3
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or oregano, or a mixture of both)
- cracked peppercorn
- Put tomatoes in a saucepan and crush with your hands.
- Warm tomatoes over medium heat and add the rest of the ingredients and stir to incorporate.
- Bring the sauce to just under a boil and allow to cook for about an hour to thicken.
- Adjust seasonings.
- If not using right away, store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to one week. Freezes nicely for up to 3 months.
My search for the perfect sauce is over!!
I made this sauce for our personal pan pizzas and I was pleased with it. It wasn't as spicy as I like but I think this recipe is one of those that can be added to without any problems. It was easy to make and I put the leftover sauce in a container and put it in the freezer for our next pizza day. Thanks for posting! Reviewed for PAC Fall 2007.