Recipe by peg_lyn
This is an easy recipe for a classic sandwich.
Top Review by Ryleigh
This is delicious and very easy to make. There are some steps involved when preparing the olive mixture but I have found that when I make this mixture to double it and it lasts in the fridge. That way we can get 2 or 3 sandwiches out of a batch since we enjoy this sandwich quite often. It is a staple on Superbowl Sunday!
- 1 (1 lb) long loaf crusty bread
- 2 tablespoons chopped hot jalapeno peppers, from a jar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black olives
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pimento stuffed olive
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper, from a jar
- 1⁄4 head iceberg lettuce, shredded (2 C.)
- 8 ounces deli turkey, sliced
- 8 ounces deli provolone cheese, sliced
- 8 ounces deli ham, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- I like to use a mini food processer to chop all the tapenade ingredients.
- Using serrated knife cut bread in half lengthwise.
- Pull out soft center of each piece, leaving 1 & 1/2"-thick shell.
- In large bowl combine olives, roasted peppers, parsley, oil, vinegar, hot peppers, garlic, oregano and pepper.
- Dip a brush into mixture to remove some of the liquid.
- Brush liquid over inside of bottom shell and fill with lettuce.
- Layer turkey (can use pepper turkey if desired), cheese and ham (can use capicola which is hot Italian ham if desired), over lettuce to create the sandwich.
- Spoon olive mixture down center of ham; cover with bread top.
- Wrap in plastic; refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight to blend flavors before serving.
- Cut into 2 inch slices.