From the blog budgetbytes.blogspot.com. Easy and great recipe for naan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1STEP 1: In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and water. Stir to dissolve then let sit for a few minutes or until it is frothy on top. At that point, stir in the oil, yogurt and egg until evenly combined.
- 2STEP 2: In a medium sized bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour with the salt. Next, add the bowl of wet ingredients to the flour/salt mixture and stir until well combined. Continue adding flour a half cup at a time until you can no longer stir it with a spoon (about 1 to 1.5 cups later).
- 3STEP 3: At that point, turn the ball of dough out onto a well floured counter top. Knead the ball of dough for about 3 minutes, adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. I ended up using about 3 cups of flour total. The dough should be smooth and very soft but not sticky.
- 4STEP 4: Loosely cover the dough and let it rise until double in size (about 45 minutes). After it rises, gently flatten the dough and cut it into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a small ball by stretching the dough back under itself until the top is smooth and round.
- 5Step 5: Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Working with one ball at a time, roll it out until it is about 1/4 inch thick or approximately 6 inches in diameter. Place the rolled out dough onto the hot skillet and cook until the under side is golden brown and large bubbles have formed on the surface (see photos below). Flip the dough and cook the other side until golden brown as well. Serve plain or brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with herbs!
- 6TIPS: For the most bubbles, don't roll out the ball of dough until just before it is ready to be placed in the skillet. The original author experimented with different skillet temperatures and found that a medium heat produces the most bubbles in the dough and does not burn the surface.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Naan
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.6
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 155.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: