Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This healthy recipe is based on one from allrecipes.com.
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, about 6 cups chopped finely
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 slices white bread, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 egg whites or 1 egg
- ground black pepper
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions; cook and stir for about 4 minutes, just until mushrooms begin to give up their juices. Stir in bread cubes and steak sauce; cook and stir 1 minute. Remove mixture from pan, and set mixture aside to cool. Wipe pan clean.
- Beat egg, and mix into mushroom mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat. Form 6 patties by hand and place into skillet. Brown one side, flip over, and brown other side. Serve.
I had some challenges with the mix. Following the directions, my mix was very runny. I kept adding fresh cubed bread pieces (sourdough bread) until the mixture looked like it would be easily handled. It took 5 (yes, 5!) pieces of bread! I added an extra egg because I was worried about the mixture falling apart while cooking. When handling the mix, it still wouldn't stay together, so I ended up adding dry bread crumbs. Fortunately, the mix held together, remained moist, and the patties tasted yummy! I'd make this again, with adjustments. Thanks for posting.
The flavour of these is wonderful. They are very mushroomy. I used baby portabella mushrooms. I added a Knorr beef cube in place of the steak sauce and as I cooked the mushrooms I added the bread and kind of mashed the bread into it. That way it could not be seen. Now I too had trouble getting these to hold together but I just added some store bought bread crumbs and was careful cooking them. These are a soft burgers. I would definitely recommend trying these if you are a mushroom lover as they are fantastic. My husband says these are so much better than the portabello burgers you buy in the store. Thanks for the recipe.
This was a great recipe. I actually added black beans to it for a bit more protein... very delicious!