Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe is a must made with Cognac, use 2 tablespoons to start and increase if desired, but not by much! You can use a mixture of button with porcini or Portobello mushrooms. This is delicious!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (can use shallots in place of onion)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon paprika (can use slightly less)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄3-2⁄3 cup sour cream
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional and to taste)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy skillet (I use my electric frypan for this) over medium-low heat melt butter.
- Cook the onions and garlic with the crushed red pepper flakes (if using) until soft (about 5 minutes.
- Add in Cognac and cook over medium heat stirring for about 1 minute.
- Add in sliced mushrooms, and cook stirring about 2 minutes.
- Add in broth, whipping cream, paprika, salt and pepper; simmer, stirring occasionally until the liquid is reduced to about 1-1/2 cups (can be a little more than 1-1/2 cups) this should take about 15 minutes to reduce.
- Remove from heat and add in chopped parsley and sour cream (do not let sour cream boil).
- Add in a couple of tablespoons Parmesan cheese (if using).