Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 2 1⁄2-3 1⁄2 cups flour
- dried mushroom
- Reconstitute dried mushrooms in one cup of hot water. Set aside.
- Dissolve yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water and add sugar. Set aside.
- Warm the cottage cheese and put in bowl. Add yeast mixture, egg, salt, soda, 2 1/2 cups flour and chives and stir until springy.
- Cover bowl with towel and let rise to double, (about one hour).
- Turn onto floured board and knead in the drained, chopped and blotted mushrooms and remaining one cup flour, (dough will be sticky).
- Place in oiled 2-quart casserole and let rise to double, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Butter top crust while still hot, remove from pan, serve immediately.
This bread was delicious! Hubby approved, too. I didn't have chives, so I did sub in diced onion and parsley. I also used low-fat cottage cheese and fresh mushrooms. We're having it with steaks, but it was also fabulous dipped in olive oil and spices---just like somthing you'd get at a restaurant and a great New Year's Eve treat. Thanks!