Recipe by Mary Jenny
Frittata is an Italian version of an omelet that has the vegetables mixed in with the eggs and since it is not folded but served open face, it is easier to handle. It may be baked in oven or cooked on top of stove and served any time of day.
Top Review by Matt T.
Easy? Yes. That's about all this has going for it. It is rather bland, and I should've known better with the swiss cheese topping. The parmesan is not enough to give the eggs any salt. The seasoning needs some serious work. Also, the instructions incorrectly clash with the "cook time" - the cook time is correct. You'll need over 20 minutes for the eggs to set, not 12-15. I disappointedly doused it with hot sauce so something would happen when I put it in my mouth.
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 8 ounces sliced small mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded provolone cheese, Swiss or 3⁄4 cup jarlsberg cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl or measuring cup whisk eggs, milk, Parmesan cheese, sage and pepper together until well mixed, set aside. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- In a 10”(25 cm) non–stick skillet heat oil over medium– high heat; sauté onion and red pepper 2–3 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms and sauté 4–5 minutes or until lightly browned; add garlic and cook 1 minute. Pour egg mixture into skillet mixing lightly to incorporate mushrooms; sprinkle with parsley if desired. Bake in oven about 12–15 minutes or until just set in the centre and no longer moist on top. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven for 2 minutes to melt cheese. Loosen around the edges with a rubber spatula and slide out onto serving plate. Cut in wedges to serve. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Variation: Instead of cooking the frittata in oven it may be cooked on top of stove over medium– low heat; lifting outer edges of omelet to allow uncooked portion to run underneath, then cover and cook until just set. Turn off heat. Sprinkle with cheese and cover to melt cheese.
- Tip: Substitute 4 eggs and 4 egg whites for the 8 eggs to lower fat.