These are high on the easy and cute factors and low on the cuisine factor. But my kids loved them and they helped me decorate. Time does not include cooling time after baking.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box chocolate cake mix (any brand)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (or as recommended on cake mix directions)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (or as recommended on cake mix directions)
- 3 eggs (or as recommended on cake mix directions)
- 1 (12 ounce) can white frosting
- 48 pieces Skittles candies
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Make cupcakes as per directions on the box.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Stir frosting as per instructions on the container.
- Use a butter knife and frost part of each cupcake leaving a slit slightly off centered unfrosted. Leave knife marks on the frosting, do NOT make it smooth. See photo.
- Put the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave on high for about 20 seconds. Time depends on your microwave.
- Remove and stir the chocolate with a spoon. You don't want to the chips completely melted at the end of the heat cycle. You want to melt it to the point where you can stir it and get the rest of the chips to melt in the mixture.
- Repeat until chocolate chips are melted.
- Place two matching (same color) skittles in the slit with no frosting on the cupcakes to make eyes. Please make sure the "s" stamped on one of the skittle is hidden on the underside and touching the cupcake; and the blank side up, facing outward.
- Then use a toothpick to dip dark chocolate in the center of the skittles to make a dot in the center of each eye, to make the eyes more interesting.
- You've got your Mummy cupcakes.