Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this to be as close to the sandwich as you can get, but better because it's a pizza. I love pizzas and have experimented with different flavors for the past couple of years. This is on my top 5 list. NOTE: You can either make the olive salad mix or buy a jar of Giuliano Italian Style Olive Salad Mix (found near the olives & pickles at your grocery store).
Olive Salad Mix
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1⁄4 cup pepperoncini pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cocktail onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dry Italian salad dressing mix
- 3 ounces diced deli ham
- 3 ounces diced hard salami
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup warm water, plus (110 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon warm water (110 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry powder milk (fat free is okay)
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- Combine all olive salad mix ingredients (first 7) in food processor and pulse a couple of times until combined but not mushy. If you don't have a processor, chop the first 5 ingredients fine.
- NOTE: You can use Italian Salad dressing in the place of the oil & dry mix if preferred, just add 3-4 tablespoons to mix before processing.
- Put in airtight container & refrigerate for at least 6 hours or over night. This enhances the flavors.
- To make the crust: (Recipe makes 2-10" crusts or 1-16" crust).
- Mix yeast in warm water and let stand for 5 minutes. While waiting, combine flour, salt, & sugar, mix. Make a well in the center of flour, add oil and then yeast mixture. Mix until easy to work with by hand. Knead until elastic in texture, about 3 minutes. Place in oiled bowl, drizzle top of crust with a bit more oil & spread evenly. Cover with plastic and let rise in warm place for about an hour.
- I prefer using the bread machine, follow your machine instructions. Use the pizza dough setting. Once done, add a pinch of flour if needed, kneed once or twice on floured surface then place in lightly oiled bowl. (Same as above).
- Once dough has risen, preheat oven to 450°. Roll out on lightly floured surface to desired size. Place on lightly oiled pan or wooden peel sprinkled with corn meal if baking on preheated stone. Spread on olive mix, ham, cheese, & salami. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until crust is golden brown & center is bubbly. Let sit for about 5 minutes before slicing.