Recipe by NorthwestGal
I really like these as a warm snack, or sliced up and served as a buffet or party appetizer. And they're very easy to make. It's such a veratile recipe, too, because you can experiment with a variety of spice and vegetable garnish combinations. The original recipe, as given to me by a friend, called for minced onion. But my husband and I like garlic, so I replaced the onion with minced garlic, which is how I always make these appetizers now.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
One of the nibbles I served during the Greece-Argentina game in the World Cup (we lost). This was good and easy. I browned the sausage earlier this evening and set it aside in the fridge. Assembly was quick and painless. Tasty. Thanks.
- 6 English muffins, split
- 1 lb ground medium Italian sausage
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced onions or 1 -2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 5 ounces kraft old English cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage thoroughly, until no pink remains. Add the minced onion (or minced garlic) and basil, and mix well. Set the sausage mixture aside.
- Spread about 3/4 tablespoon of the Old English cheese across the top of each muffin half. Place the muffin halves on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread a large spoonful of the sausage mixture evenly across the top of the cheese layer of each muffin half.
- Bake the appetizers in a 350 degree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the English muffins just begin to toast and are heated through.
- These can be served as a warm snack right out of the oven, or after being cooled completely.
- OPTIONAL STEP: For added flavor, you can sprinkle the tops of each baked appetizer with chopped green onion or minced olives, mushrooms, or pimiento. Or for a more zesty flavor top each appetizer with a thin red pepper strip.
- FOR SERVING SIZES: If served whole, the recipe will yield 12 large appetizer snacks. Or you can cut each appetizer in half, which will yield 24 (half circle shape) appetizers. Or you can cut each half-circle piece in half again, which will yield 48 mini wedge-shaped appetizers.