Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 min
A favorite dish I am famous for. This is a great crowd pleaser.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 3⁄4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb potato, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (I grate my own for better quality)
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups plain yogurt (whole)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Brush eggplant rounds with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large non stick skillet and brown eggplant over medium heat. Remove to paper towel to drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons in the same large skillet and cook onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the ground beef and brown completely. Add spices and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a second non-stick skillet brown potato rounds on both sides. Remove to a paper towel and drain and season with salt and pepper.
- In a buttered baking dish, layer potatoes, meat, eggplant and top with parmesan. In a medium bowl combine yogurt, cream and eggs. Season with salt and pepper and pour over casserole. Let casserole sit for 10 minutes and then bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Allow casserole to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
my daughter loved this and finished her whole plate. (very rare!) Thanks for the recipe.