Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
An absolutely wonderful chicken dish, this dish has so much flavor, and is wonderful served with rice or couscous. Of coarse any part of the chicken may be used for this recipe. If you are using a 3-4 pound cut-up chicken, I suggest doubling all ingredients. I have even added in a coarsley chopped green bell pepper to this. You will love this chicken! Make certain to brown the chicken first, it improves the flavor in ths dish.
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- seasoning salt (can use regular salt also)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups salsa
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup currants (or more if desired)
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then brown in oil on all sides.
- Transfer the chicken in a greased baking dish.
- In the same frypan, saute onion and garlic; spoon over the chicken in the dish.
- In a bowl, combine the salsa, water, currants, honey, cumin and cinnamon; pour over the chicken; mix with clean hands to slighty coat the chicken.
- If you are adding in green bell pepper, just mix in with the salsa/honey mixture.
- Cover and bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds.