Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an easy breakfast casserole that my veggie daughter and very picky son will all eat! It is a very forgiving recipe and you can add anything you want.
- 1 loaf challah
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream (or 1/2 and 1/2)
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄8 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups maple syrup, no fake stuff
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice the challah bread very thickly.
- Let dry out for 2 hours.
- Mix eggs, cream, oj and zest very well.
- dip both sides of slice of bread in egg mix- get them very wet.
- layer the bread in pan slightly overlapping.
- pour the rest of the egg mixture over the bread.
- cover with foil - let sit at least 1 hour - can sit overnight.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour - depending on how crispy you want the top.
- For the sauce.
- in sauce pan melt butter add syrup cook until it reaches a low simmer - pour over the french toast.
This is THE best French Toast we have ever had. I ade it because I had 2 extra kids here for a sleepover, and all 4 kids loved it as much as my hubby & I did! I didn't add the zest, because I thought it might put the 2 smaller kids off, but apart from that, I made it as written. Fantastic recipe, and is perfect for a special breakfast when you have a lot of people to feed. I loved that all the work was done the night before! Will make this regularly! [Made for Fall 2008 PAC]