This is an easy breakfast casserole that my veggie daughter and very picky son will all eat! It is a very forgiving recipe and you can add anything you want.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice the challah bread very thickly.
- Let dry out for 2 hours.
- Mix eggs, cream, oj and zest very well.
- dip both sides of slice of bread in egg mix- get them very wet.
- layer the bread in pan slightly overlapping.
- pour the rest of the egg mixture over the bread.
- cover with foil - let sit at least 1 hour - can sit overnight.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour - depending on how crispy you want the top.
- For the sauce.
- in sauce pan melt butter add syrup cook until it reaches a low simmer - pour over the french toast.