Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
One of my family's favorite Asian dishes For easy meat slicing, prefreeze the beef, until almost frozen, this makes for easier slicing. For more heat increase the chili flakes.This is great served over rice.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lb flank steak (cut across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in wok over high heat; add in onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until browned; remove onion to a bowl.
- For the sauce; in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add in ginger, garlic red pepper flakes and soy sauce, water and black pepper.
- Add in the brown sugar to the saucepan then increase the heat to medium and boil 2-3 minutes or until thickened; remove from heat.
- Toss the beef strips with the cornstarch to coat; let sit for about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat 1 cup oil in the wok until hot but not smoking; add in the beef and saute for about 2 minutes or until the beef is just cooked through (you do not have to cook the beef completely as it will cook more after) remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel remove the oil from the wok.
- Return the wok back to the heat and put the meat back in the wok along with the onions; then add in the sauce and cook for 1 minute stirring.
- Cook for about 1 minute more.
- serve on rice and sprinkle a small amount of chopped onions over the top.
This was a big WOW! Delicious, delicious, and like the recipe title says, very Easy to prepare. DH asked how many stars I could give this. When I said up to 5 he said, that's not enough. I followed the recipe except for using sirloin beef strips because that is what I had on hand, and also used less oil to cook the beef (to save on calories). According to DH, this was better than his favorite restaurant version of this dish and I have to agree. Thank you Kitten, for sharing yet another of your wonderful recipes.
I didn't have my normal "seasoning packet" for Mongolian beef and it was too late to run to the store and get it.... so I found and made this recipe. Oh my gosh, it was AMAZING. Everyone loved it, served over cooked rice. It is so good and so easy, it will be made many more times in the future, for sure!!
This is one of my favorite dishes to order in a Chinese restaurant! So glad I've found this recipe as now I can make it home and it tastes every bit as good. Thanks for posting this Kit! Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag.